South African megachurch pastor Ray McCauley and his second wife, Zelda, are planning to divorce after nine years of marriage.
The founder and pastor of 40,000-member Rhema Bible Church in Johannesburg, one of the largest churches in the nation, was "devastated" by his wife's decision to file for divorce, according to a statement from the executive board of the church and the International Federation of Christian Churches (IFCC), a ministry network McCauley leads.
"Both the leadership of the IFCC and Rhema Bible Church are of the firm belief that divorce is not desirable and should be the last resort," the board stated. "However, they would like to respect Mrs. Zelda McCauley's decision to file for divorce."
Zelda McCauley did not release a separate statement.
McCauley and his first wife, Lyndie, divorced in 2000 after 24 years of marriage. He married Zelda, a former model who has reportedly been twice divorced, in 2001.
He and Zelda separated in 2008 but later reconciled after receiving counseling. At that time, McCauley attributed their marital difficulties to fatigue and spiritual warfare but said their relationship had come through "better than ever."
McCauley plans to take time off from church leadership, and the executive board said it would "facilitate his recovery from this setback."
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Incredible Savings, Inspiration and Encouragement from CHARISMA:
- End Of The Year - Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
- Big Discounts On Book Bundles & Gifts: Click Here to view all our bundles and save up to 72%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, and more.
- FREE eCourses by CHARISMA: Click Here to view all eight of our free courses. Topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Women Of God: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Prayer Changes Everything! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.