Kazakhstan's infringements of religious freedom are due in part to the country's newly adopted Religion Law. The law went into effect last year and has many calling for the U.S. Department of State and Hillary Clinton to send a special envoy to investigate violations of religious freedom. The new law requires all religious communities to register or re-register their organizations and churches with the government.
On Oct. 25, the new "re-registration" deadline was enforced for all religious communities. All churches were required to turn in paperwork that included the signatures of at least 50 church members. If a church did not have 50 members, it was not eligible for registration and was scheduled for liquidation.
The government of Kazakhstan has been forceful and aggressive, and boasts of successfully stripping 579 religious communities of their registration rights. They have also reduced the number of officially recognized faiths from 46 to merely 17. Included in the reduction are faith-based civic organizations, which fell to 3,088 from the previous total of 4,551. If any of these groups continue meeting to practice their faith, which is no longer officially sanctioned by the government, they could face criminal charges.
All faiths and many denominations have been a target of the government, including Scientologists, Jehovah's Witnesses, sects of Islam, Presbyterians, evangelicals, Seventh-day Adventists, Methodists and Baptists.
Kazakhstan's new Religion Laws infringe on the religious freedom of its people and deserves immediate attention from the U.S. Department of State. Without involvement from the international community, life for religious minorities in Kazakhstan is certain to continue on this downhill trajectory.
Corey Bailey is International Christian Concern's regional manager for Central Asia.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details