Historically the Greenlandic people have been Inuit emigrants from Canada. In the past, many have held shamanistic or animistic beliefs. Scattered throughout the coastal area of the island, they were mainly hunters until Norwegian and Danish influences brought changes to their lifestyle.
Today, much has changed, but the need of the 58,000 people living there is still great. Many are still poorly educated and unemployed. Most remain hostile to the truth of the gospel.
Operation Mobilization reports that Hans, from the Faroe Islands, and his family have served as independent missionaries in Nuuk, Greenland, for over 40 years, but have seen little breakthrough.
That is, until recently.
Operation Mobilization's Kenny Gan visited Greenland in July for the fifth time in six years. He is from Singapore but has been serving in the U.K. On his first visit to Greenland, OM reports, Gan realized that he looked just like the Greenlandic nationals, and his testimony was significantly relevant to them.
By Gan's second visit, a local magazine in Greenland was ready to publish his picture alongside an advertisement for a Christian meeting. To the delight of Gan's church, many people came to the meeting and quite a few committed to receive Christ. Many others recommitted their lives to the Lord.
Little by little, Hans and his family were seeing breakthroughs.
During this past summer, a family camp was held. Many locals came and listened to the Word and Gan's testimony. Afterward, many said they understood the Christian message and knew they needed God.
A local man said, "I believe in God, but it's not like what I heard today. I want to learn more and follow." Of his Faroese wife, he said, "She never wanted to talk about God before. It's the first time she started discussing about God and wants to follow Him."
When a meeting was canceled due to other events, many who had been looking forward to hearing more about God expressed disappointment. Members of the church invited everyone to come to church when they returned to Nuuk, and to their surprise, most came.
For the first time in the church's history, the Greenlandic people outnumbered the Europeans, both on the following Sunday morning and evening. The church was filled to capacity, and no more chairs were available. That day, more accepted Christ.
After 40 years, God is melting hearts in Greenland. Pray for Hans as he continues the ministry there, and pray that this growing church would continue to spread their love for Christ.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details