Evan Bialosuknia, born a biological male, made history last weekend as the first transgender homecoming queen to be chosen at Olympia High School in Orlando, Florida.
As evidence of where the American culture now stands as opposed to years past, Bialosuknia told local media outlets that the margin of victory was the greatest ever at Olympia for any homecoming queen. Cbsnews.com reported that, when it came time for the king and queen to be announced, Bialosuknia's mom, grandparents and best friend were in the stands cheering him on.
A story by Scottie Andrew of CNN.com read that Bialosuknia was nervous about being part of the homecoming court, but that "those fears faded" when he heard the uproarious applause when his name was called during his high school's homecoming game in late September.
The story went on to say that "the 17-year-old high school senior started campaigning on social media, putting it out to his classmates that his wanted to win the title.: The story also said the school's Gay-Straight Alliance also helped his campaign, messaging club members and encouraging them to vote for the school's first trans homecoming queen.
Since his coronation, Bialosuknia has received several messages of support, but also hateful messages as well.
A 2019 study from the Centers of Disease Control and Prevention estimated that just under 2% of US high school students are trans, and that trans students are more likely than students who embrace their biological gender to experience violent harassment and risk of suicide.
Read articles like this one and other Spirit-led content in our new platform, CHARISMA PLUS.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details