The Archbishop of San Francisco issued a scathing statement saying the pro-abortion Women's Health Protection Act (HR 3755) passed by Congress is something he'd expect from a "devout Satanist" rather than a devoted Catholic.
Archbishop Salvatore Cordileone called out Catholic politicians, such as House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA), who had praised the pro-abortion measure saying it's about people's medical choices.
Cordileone directed those supporting HR 3755 to consider recent comments made by Pope Francis who compared abortion to murder.
"It is especially shameful that any self-professed Catholic would be implicated in such an evil, let alone advocate for it," he wrote. "To Catholic politicians in particular, I implore you to listen to the words of Pope Francis who just last weekend, during his flight back to Rome from Slovakia, said: 'Abortion is more than a problem. Abortion is homicide ... It is a human life, period. And this human life must be respected."
Democrats in the House of Representatives passed the measure on Sept. 24 with a vote of 218 to 211, so now it's up to the Senate.
The bill would allow abortion of viable preborn babies, nullify a women's "right to know" laws and parental involvement statutes for minors. It would also overturn state laws that protect unborn people with Down Syndrome, among other things.
"This proposed legislation is nothing short of child sacrifice, and clearly in reaction, among other things, to the recently passed Texas Heartbeat bill," the Archbishop added. "It should come as no surprise, then, that that (Texas) bill is being challenged by none other than The Satanic Temple and precisely on the grounds of religious freedom."
"Indeed, HR 3755 is surely the type of legislation one would expect from a devout Satanist, not a devout Catholic," he said.
He then asked Catholics to pray and fast for lawmakers of Congress, including Pelosi, that there would be a conversion of their hearts.
"I therefore ask all Catholics in our country immediately to pray and fast for members of Congress to do the right thing and keep this atrocity from being enacted in the law," Cordileone noted. "A child is not an object to be thrown away, and neither is a mother's heart. I've said it before and I'll say it again: the answer to a woman in a crisis pregnancy is not violence but love. This is America. We can do better."
For the rest of this article, visit our content partners at cbnnews.com.
Read articles like this one and other Spirit-led content in our new platform, CHARISMA PLUS.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details