Congressional Democrats are in a panic over abortion. The Supreme Court's new term starts in a few days, and they fear the conservative-leaning court could overturn Roe v. Wade. In a preemptive strike, the House passed a drastic bill protecting abortion up to the moment of birth.
The Democrat-controlled U.S. House of Representatives approved the controversial "Women's Health Protection Act" by a narrow vote of 218-211. The bill protects abortion nationwide, overturning state pro-life laws.
"It has been declared constitutional by the Supreme Court," House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) said following the bill's passage. "I wish they would just honor their own precedence on this but they didn't."
If the "Women's Health Protection Act" becomes law, it would override many pro-life measures put in place by states. Along with allowing abortion of viable pre born babies, it would nullify women's "right to know" laws and parental involvement statutes for minors. It would also overturn state laws that protect unborn people with Down Syndrome, among other things.
"This is the most extreme congressional bill ever," Rep. Chris Smith (R-NJ) told CBN's Faith Nation.
Smith and his Republican colleagues fiercely oppose the bill.
"All of the state laws, like women's right to know, parental consent, waiting periods, even laws (for) pain-capable unborn children to protect them, there's several of those laws... all of them would be eviscerated, would be overturned overnight," said Smith.
The bill now heads to the Senate where it faces a steep uphill battle. Because of the filibuster rule, it needs 60 votes to pass there. With the Senate split 50-50, not even all Democrats are on board.
Another big showdown over the issue of abortion is set for December first when the Supreme Court will hear a Mississippi case that has the potential to overturn Roe v Wade.
For the rest of this story, visit our content partners at cbnnews.com.
Read articles like this one and other Spirit-led content in our new platform, CHARISMA PLUS.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details