A total of 11 Republican governors have joined together in support of a brief submitted to the U.S. Supreme Court by South Carolina Gov. Henry McMaster asking for the overturn of Roe v. Wade, a law that has allowed abortion in America since 1973, many media outlets are reporting.
The amicus brief filed by McMaster concerns an upcoming case concerning Mississippi's abortion ban that argues states should be left to decide themselves whether or not abortion is legally permissible, Forbes.com reported. The Supreme Court will soon hear the Mississippi case on abortion that take places after 15 weeks, and the governors are hoping that their action will either weaken or potentially overturn Roe v. Wade, which has seen, according to statistics in January, more than 62 million abortions in America in the past 58 years.
Mississippi State Health Officer Thomas E. Dobbs, M.D., filed a lawsuit against the Jackson Women's Health organization and its patients earlier this year. The Jackson Women's Health Health Organization is name as responded in the suit filed to void Roe v. Wade, WFLA.com in Tampa, Florida reported.
The amicus brief suggests that the 14th Amendment of the U.S. Constitution does not "provide a framework to protect the right to abort a pregnancy." The brief was also written to support the legality of South Carolina's own Fetal Heartbeat and Protection from Abortion Act.
Many abortion laws were signed into law by state governors in 2021, with varying levels of severity, restriction or success in their state legislatures.
The governors who joined in support of McMaster's brief include:
— Kay Ivey of Alabama.
— Douglas A. Ducey of Arizona,
— Asa Hutchinson of Arkansas.
— Ron DeSantis of Florida.
— Brian Kemp of Georgia.
— Brad Little of Idaho.
— Kim Reynolds of Iowa.
— Michael Parson of Missouri.
—Reg Gianforte of Montana.
- J. Kevin Stitt of Oklahaoma
- Greg Abbott of Texas
Additionally, 228 lawmakers signed their own amicus brief to support the same law petitioners from Mississippi's Department of Health. Those include two high-profile Senators, Republicans Marco Rubio and Rick Scott.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details