With the Fourth of July holiday barely in the mirror, how do Americans feel about the land of the free? There's good news and bad news. Here's the good news: A recent Fox News poll concludes that nearly 70% of voters believe America is the greatest country to reside in. The bad news is, that number is down from 84% when Fox News first asked the question in 2011.
Commenting on the poll and the attitude shift among voters, Ed Vitagliano, executive vice president of the American Family Association (afa.net), said, "It's not unusual for polling results on topics like this one to be up and down, especially during tumultuous times like the country has gone through for the last 18 months. The nation has endured a pandemic with the associated anxieties, lockdowns and isolation. We have also watched protests in numerous cities turn violent, with buildings burning and stores being looted. That takes a toll on people's sense of stability and hope for the future."
The downward tug on the numbers reflects a shifting sentiment that America's best days have passed (39%, up 10 points from 2017). The drop in positive views is most pronounced among voters under age 45. In 2015, 75% of that group felt the U.S. was the best place in the world to live vs. 54% now. AFA sees an unsettling trend but also sees hopeful news that the overwhelming majority of Americans still love this country and want to live and work here.
"Many people are beginning to suspect that the anti-American ideology that has taken root in our colleges and universities and has now spread to many public schools has also played a role," Vitagliano said. "As evidence of this fact continues to mount, more and more Americans will become energized to engage in the philosophical fight for the soul of our nation—and that's a good thing."
For over 40 years, the American Family Association has operated within the mission to inform, equip and activate individuals to strengthen the moral foundations of American culture and give aid to the church here and abroad in its task of fulfilling the Great Commission. Find AFA Action Alerts here.
AFA—founded in 1977—has long been on the front lines of America's culture war. Today, AFA is one of the largest and most effective pro-family organizations in the country, with nearly a million online supporters and approximately 160,000 subscribers to the AFA Journal, the ministry's monthly magazine. In addition, AFA owns and operates nearly 180 radio stations across the country under the American Family Radio banner.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details