Minnesota student Avery Severson, a sophomore at White Bear Lake High School near St. Paul, Minnesota, has spoken out about the emotional trauma she experienced when falsely accused of sending threatening racist messages to Black classmates, an incident which has now been exposed as a hoax, dailymail.com reports.
"I was just shocked when I saw that they were accusing me, and I felt unsafe," Severson told Fox News Friday. "I felt unsafe at school."
A Black classmate, Precious Boahen, accused Severson of sending racist direct messages via group chat on Instagram, triggering an uproar at the school and a subsequent walkout against racism by students and teachers. But after the school administration, the FBI and the local police department investigated, district Superintendent Wayne Kazmierczak sent an email concluding that the messages were "a hoax sent under false pretense" and adding that the student who sent the posts "poses no threat to our students of color."
Screenshots of the alleged conversation show the anonymous account using racial slurs. To date, the owner of the account has not been revealed.
Severson told Fox News that about a year ago, she was "inspired" by a video from Charlie Kirk, co-founder of Turning Point USA, a conservative student group, and has worked to start a chapter at her high school. The school told her she needed at least 20 students to start the club.
"And the last couple of weeks, we got close to that number, and then these rumors online started going around about me, accusing me of sending racist, terrible, hateful messages to a Black student at my school, with no evidence pointing to me," Severson said, adding that she had an escort walk her to and from class and also felt unsafe in her community.
Bear Lake City Manager Ellen Hiniker confirmed to Newsweek Friday via email that the accusations were false.
"It is not Avery Severson," Hiniker wrote. "That is a very misinformed rumor fueled by social media. White Bear Lake Police Captain Dale Hager confirmed that the accusations against Severson had no basis in fact, saying, "I would stand by that as well."
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details