Rep. Tom Reed, R-New York, announced Sunday he will not seek reelection or run for governor next year following allegations of sexual abuse. He also apologized to former Washington, D.C., lobbyist Nicolette Davis, who told The Washington Post last week that a drunken Reed had made unwanted sexual advances toward her.
"Simply put, my behavior caused her pain, showed her disrespect and was unprofessional. I was wrong, I am sorry, and I take full responsibility," Reed said in his statement, adding that he had entered treatment the same year as the alleged advances occurred. He said he realized he was "powerless over alcohol" and also apologized to his wife and children.
Reed had been among the many members of Congress calling for Democratic Gov. Andrew Cuomo's resignation over sexual harassment allegations. In late February, Reed said he was considering a run for governor should Cuomo seek a fourth term in 2022.
Twitter users were quick to comment on Reed's decision, some, such as Christine Pelosi, applauding his courage:
Congressman Lee Zeldin, R-New York, also pointed out the contrast between Reed's decision and Cuomo's denials of culpability, adding #CuomosGottaGo:
Night & day contrast between Tom Reed's detailed statement & Andrew Cuomo denying any responsibility for all allegations against him, attacks his accusers, & attacks all who believe his accusers...All of this on top of Cuomo's deadly nursing home order & cover-up. #CuomosGottaGo— Lee Zeldin (@RepLeeZeldin) March 22, 2021
But others, including CNN's Elliot Williams, were less than affirming in their tweets:
You know, one solution -- this might sound crazy, but hear me out here -- is just to elect a woman to be governor of New Yorkhttps://t.co/QulTsD6D45— Elliot Williams (@elliotcwilliams) March 19, 2021
Follow breaking news like this and more in our new platform, CHARISMA PLUS.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details