New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo continues to refuse calls for his resignation even after the two highest-ranking Democrats in his state joined the many asking him to consider leaving his position in the wake of dual scandals: the first related to his administration's handling of COVID-19 reporting in nursing homes and the second related to his alleged sexual harassment of multiple women.
Five women have now spoken out against Cuomo, including two more who came forward Saturday with additional accusations of inappropriate behavior. Although Cuomo has appeared apologetic for some of the reported interactions, he has flatly denied others, per Fox News.
In a brief Sunday conference call with reporters, Cuomo said "there is no way" he would step down. "I was elected by the people of this state. I wasn't elected by politicians. I'm not going to resign because of allegations."
State Senate Majority Leader Andrew Stewart-Cousins said Sunday in a statement issued after Cuomo's, "Every day there is another account that is drawing away from the business of government ... We need to govern without daily distraction. For the good of the state, Gov. Cuomo must resign." A Fox News tally showed a total of 37 lawmakers from either the Assembly or state Senate who want him to resign, while 10 have called for his impeachment.
Assembly Speaker Carl Heastie, D-Bronx, followed Stewart-Cousins' remarks with a statement of his own, saying Cuomo should "seriously consider whether he can effectively meet the needs of the people of New York."
Cuomo's office has denied changing the reports of nursing home deaths from the coronavirus. State officials now estimate that more than 15,000 residents of New York nursing homes and long-term care facilities may have fallen victim to COVID-19. This represents a 50% increase over earlier reported death tolls, according to The Wall Street Journal.
Follow breaking news like this and more in our new platform, CHARISMA PLUS,
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details