House impeachment managers are calling for former President Donald J. Trump to provide testimony under oath regarding his conduct before the violent breach of the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6. The impeachment trial of the former president, the first to face such a trial twice, is scheduled to begin the week of Feb. 8.
In a Thursday letter to Trump, lead Impeachment Manager Rep. Jamie Raskin, D. Md., responded to a letter filed by Trump's attorneys on Feb. 2 denying many of the allegations set forth in the article of impeachment.
Raskin's letter says, in part, "In light of your disputing these factual allegations, I write to you to invite you to provide testimony under oath, either before or during the Senate impeachment trial, concerning your conduct on January 6, 2021." It also notes that "Presidents Gerald Ford and Bill Clinton both provided testimony while in office—and the Supreme Court held just last year that you were not immune from legal process while serving as President—so there is no doubt that you can testify in these proceedings."
This comes in direct opposition to the 45 Republican senators who refused to affirm the impeachment trial on the basis of unconstitutionality.
If Trump refuses to provide the requested testimony, Raskin's letter says the Senate reserves "any and all rights, including the right to establish at trial that your refusal to testify supports a strong adverse inference regarding your actions (and inaction) on January 6, 2021." The former president has until 5 p.m. Friday, Feb. 5, 2021, to respond.
In a press conference, Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi responded to a question about "why bother" with the impeachment trial by saying, "We're here to support and defend the Constitution of the United States," pointing to what she called the "world witness" to the "incitement the president caused" to the Capitol insurrection.
Follow breaking news like this and more in our new platform, CHARISMA PLUS.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details