Forty-five Republican senators voted against a potential second impeachment trial for former President Donald J. Trump Tuesday. Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky., had called for a procedural vote regarding the constitutionality of the effort filed by the House since Trump is now out of office.
The Senate just voted on my constitutional point of order.— Senator Rand Paul (@RandPaul) January 26, 2021
45 Senators agreed that this sham of a "trial" is unconstitutional.
That is more than will be needed to acquit and to eventually end this partisan impeachment process.
This "trial" is dead on arrival in the Senate.
"If you voted that it was unconstitutional, how in the world would you ever vote to convict somebody for this?" Paul told reporters, according to Politico. "This vote indicates it's over. The trial is all over."
House Democrats accused Trump of "incitement of insurrection" in the Jan. 6 Capitol Hill riot, voting in favor of the impeachment without holding hearings and sending the vote to the Senate, where a trial could disqualify him from office.
"This is not a trial; this is political theater. You cannot remove someone from office who is already out of office," Sen. James Lankford, R.-Okla., said in a press release. "The U.S. Constitution outlines the basic process for impeachment and trial of the president, but it says nothing about trying a former president."
Since Trump is no longer president, Chief Justice John Roberts won't preside over the impeachment trial, should it occur. Instead, Sen. Patrick Leahy, D-Vt., will preside, according to The Hill.
Paul had a comment about that as well:
If Chief Justice Roberts can't be bothered to come over for the so-called impeachment, makes you wonder if this exercise is constitutional at all.— Senator Rand Paul (@RandPaul) January 25, 2021
Leahy, not Roberts, to preside over impeachment trial | TheHill https://t.co/zAJASSKHf9
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details