The congressional debate over certifying the Electoral College abruptly halted Wednesday afternoon as lawmakers went into lockdown after the Capitol Building was breached by protesters.
The U.S. Senate went to an emergency recess after demonstrators were seen breaking the barricades, then entered the building and started pounding on the door of the U.S. House Chamber.
President Trump tweeted, "I am asking for everyone at the U.S. Capitol to remain peaceful. No violence! Remember, WE are the Party of Law & Order – respect the Law and our great men and women in Blue. Thank you!"
I am asking for everyone at the U.S. Capitol to remain peaceful. No violence! Remember, WE are the Party of Law & Order – respect the Law and our great men and women in Blue. Thank you!— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) January 6, 2021
Police attempted to regain control of the building while Vice President Pence and multiple senators were seen being evacuated.
Law enforcement officers point their guns at a door in the House Chamber after pro-Trump protesters breached the U.S. Capitol. The process for counting Electoral College votes has been suspended. DC mayor orders curfew effective 6 p.m. pic.twitter.com/PtilMIy8Eg— Ben Kennedy (@BenKennedyTV) January 6, 2021
Sen. Ted Cruz tweeted, "Those storming the Capitol need to stop now. The Constitution protects peaceful protest, but violence—from Left or Right—is ALWAYS wrong. And those engaged in violence are hurting the cause they say they support."
President Trump immediately called for peace on Capitol Hill.
Condemnation of the violence has been swift from every sector of society. Rabbis Marvin Hier and Abraham Cooper, senior officials of the Simon Wiesenthal Center, denounced today's storming of the Capitol:
The right to protest is sacrosanct in American life. But the very values and rights bestowed by our democracy are degraded and diminished when police officers have to draw their guns to protect our duly elected officials in heart of our nation by violent protesters who, by their reckless and dangerous behavior have inflicted grievous wounds on our nation. Nothing, not even the emotional charges of voter fraud in a presidential election, can ever legitimize or excuse such behavior. For as the Talmud warns, 'Pray for the welfare of the government, for without...it man would swallow his fellow.' Today is a dark day for America."
To read the rest of the story, visit our content partner here.
Reprinted with permission from CBN.com. Copyright The Christian Broadcasting Network, Inc. All rights reserved.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details