Cedarville University made headlines last week after firing a theology professor accused of sexual abuse.
Cedarville President Dr. Thomas White hired Anthony Moore despite knowing of his history of abuse. Moore allegedly secretly filmed a male youth pastor while he was showering. White says when he found out that the abuse lasted longer and involved more instances than he was originally told, he fired Moore the next day.
The Christian university's board of trustees has responded to the situation by hiring an independent firm to investigate and make sure Moore did not do anything inappropriate on campus or with any students off-campus. They are also retaining an independent firm to conduct an audit of Moore's hiring process.
During these investigations, the university is placing White on administrative leave. Lt. Gen. (Ret.) Loren Reno will serve as acting president while White is absent.
"The board is incredibly grieved over this new information and the questions it raises," says Cedarville Executive Director of Public Relations Mark D. Weinstein in a statement. "This matter was our priority at our spring trustee meeting. We understand the gravity of this situation, and we covet your continued prayers. ...
"As our Cedarville University community processes this situation, we pray we would do so with humility, grace, mercy, integrity, civility and respect. Above all, we pray God would be honored by our deliberations and actions."
Investigative journalist Julie Roys reports that the university fired Moore when it came to light that his misconduct took place over a span of several months. White tells Roys that the school hired Moore on a probationary basis with a five-year restoration plan. Moore worked as an assistant professor of theology and also volunteered as an assistant basketball coach.
According to a statement posted April 24, White was under the impression that Moore's sexual misconduct was not a habitual issue and was limited to two videos over a short period of time. He was also reportedly unaware of the unhealthy friendship between Moore and the victim. When White found out Moore filmed five videos over a span of six months, he fired him.
The abuse allegedly took place while Moore was pastor of The Village Church's Fort Worth campus. The church fired Moore in 2017 for what Senior Pastor Matt Chandler called a "sin issue."
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
It's a NEW YEAR! Get ready for a NEW YOU!
- New Year Discounts On Book Bundles & Gifts: Click Here to view all our bundles and save up to 72%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- Go Deeper with God in a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all eight of our free courses. Topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Anointed Woman Of God: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Never Stop Praying - Prayer Changes Everything! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- New Year - New You - Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Subscription Special: Subscribe to Charisma for two years for Only $29.97 and get two free gifts. Gift #1 The Harbinger. Gift #2 The Harbinger II. Both books are by New York Times Best-Selling author Jonathan Cahn. View Offer