Two people died and another was critically wounded after a gunman opened fire in a church in White Settlement near Fort Worth, Texas, Sunday morning, multiple reports said.
Dallasnews.com reported that MedStar spokeswoman Macara Trusty confirmed that "one person died en route to a hospital, and another person was transported to a hospital in critical condition" after a shooting at West Freeway Church of Christ. Dallasnews.com says the shooter is believed to be one of those three people, quoting Fort Worth Fire Department spokesman Mike Drivdahl.
Media reports said White Settlement police were called to the scene at 9:57 a.m. local time after reports of gunfire and people with gunshot wounds. White Settlement and Fort Worth officers were at the church speaking to witnesses, Drivdahl told Dallasnews.com.
"Our hearts and prayers go out to all the families that were affected by this incident," Drivdahl said. "We'll continue to pray for them and continue to do everything we can for them."
A local television station reported that the "church shooting was captured on a live stream of Sunday's worship service. In the video, which has since been taken down, a person stands and pulls out a weapon, then appears to fire twice before another person shoots back, according to WFAA-TV.
WFAA reported that "some congregants holding guns rushed toward the shooter, while others ducked under church pews."
According to Dallnews.com, Texas Gov. Greg Abbott called the shooting an "evil act of violence" in a statement.
"Places of worship are meant to be sacred, and I am grateful for the church members who acted quickly to take down the shooter and help prevent further loss of life," Abbott said. "Cecilia and I ask all Texans to join us in praying for the White Settlement community and for all those affected by this horrible tragedy."
Dallasnews.com reported that Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton's office tweeted asking for prayers for the victims and their families and said the office would assist however they're needed.
The shooting comes more than two years after a gunman opened fire at a church in Sutherland Springs—a community about 300 miles away from White Settlement—killing at least 26 people.
Craig Groeschel, the senior pastor of Life.Church in Oklahoma, tweeted Sunday, "Please join me in prayer for the White Settlement, TX and Ramapo, NY, communities as well as all those affected by these awful tragedies. Our hearts break with you." "The Lord I close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit" (Psalm 34:18).
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details