A New York pastor is sleeping on the streets this week—just as he has done every Thanksgiving week for the last 21 years.
Buffalo Dream Center Pastor Eric Johns, affectionately known as "the Homeless Pastor," takes this time to live with the homeless, no matter what the weather is like. He usually spends the night under an overpass and eats his meals at soup kitchens, reports Spectrum News.
Johns says he does this each year to raise awareness about the marginalized homeless community. But he also does it as a way of gathering donations for his church's Boxes of Love program, through which the church gives food and Christmas presents to thousands of families and kids.
This year, Johns' two teenage sons are joining him.
"When I started this 21 years ago, my sons weren't even born, but now they're 15 and 16," Johns tells Spectrum News. "They want to take this over for me, which I'm happy to give to them after 21 years. We're going to wait a couple more years. But this year, they're going to spend the night with me every single day. And for at least a couple days, we're going to have three generations here. My father's also out with us. So that's pretty special."
Johns posted a photo of him and his sons getting ready for their night on the streets, saying, "Three generations living on the streets with Buffalo's homeless."
Johns and his wife, Michelle, have been pastors of Buffalo Dream Center since 1993, according to the church's website. The Johnses have become known for their work ministering to the inner-city, orphans and unreached people groups.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details