Netflix pulled Christian comedian John Crist's debut special, I Ain't Prayin' for That, after Charisma's Taylor Berglund reported multiple allegations against him involving sexual misconduct.
Crist's special—based on his The Human Being tour—was supposed to premiere on Thanksgiving, but Netflix told Religion News Service on Thursday, Nov. 7, that the show is now up in the air. Netflix's website no longer showcases the comedy special.
Crist's book, titled Untag Me: The Subtle Art of Appearing Better Than You Really Are, was supposed to release in March through WaterBrook & Multnomah. But after the original report released, the Christian publishing company contacted Charisma to say: "WaterBrook takes the troubling allegations of sexual misconduct against John Crist extremely seriously. We are postponing the publication of his book."
The allegations against Crist came from five women who reported instances of harassment, manipulation and sexual immorality. Crist allegedly sexted multiple women (sometimes in the same time period), initiated sexual relationships with married women and offered show tickets in exchange for sexual favors. Several women claim he repeatedly called them late at night while he was drunk.
Crist confessed to the majority of these claims in a statement to Charisma, though he said he is "not guilty of everything [he's] been accused of." He admitted that in his interactions with women, he has "violated [his] own Christian beliefs, convictions and values."
He also announced he was canceling the rest of 2019's tour dates in order to focus on dealing with his sexual addiction.
"Over several recent years, I have privately sought and received regular professional treatment for my sexual sin and addiction struggles. I'm committed to getting healing and freedom from my sin and have decided to cancel my remaining tour dates this year and to postpone all future commitments in order to devote all my time and energy on getting healthy spiritually, mentally and physically."
He apologized for his "destructive and sinful" behavior as well as for the hurt it has caused the women he manipulated and those who care about him.
"... I now humbly seek forgiveness and mercy and love—not just for me, but for those I've hurt along my path. I'm so sorry."
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
It's a NEW YEAR! Get ready for a NEW YOU!
- New Year Discounts On Book Bundles & Gifts: Click Here to view all our bundles and save up to 72%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- Go Deeper with God in a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all eight of our free courses. Topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Anointed Woman Of God: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Never Stop Praying - Prayer Changes Everything! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- New Year - New You - Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Subscription Special: Subscribe to Charisma for two years for Only $29.97 and get two free gifts. Gift #1 The Harbinger. Gift #2 The Harbinger II. Both books are by New York Times Best-Selling author Jonathan Cahn. View Offer