An 11-year-old boy died Sunday after being hit by an SUV Friday night at a church's trunk-or-treat event.
"My sweet Noah has got his angel wings and is in heaven now," the boy's grandmother, Renea Smith, says. "Please pray for the family as they try to cope with this loss."
Noah Isaac Chambers was hit at about 7 p.m. in front of Bethel United Methodist Church in Oak Ridge, North Carolina. He was taken to Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center in critical condition.
While Chambers was still on life support at the hospital, a GoFundMe account said his loved ones were "still praying for a miracle." When Chambers passed away, the account's organizer, Maria Hudson, asked people to "please keep praying for his family."
Many in the community stopped by Bethel United Methodist Church to bring flowers, candy, balloons and more in Chambers' memory.
Chambers' father, Robert, says the pain of losing his son is unbearable, but he believes his death will mean life for others.
"Cherish the time that you have, because you never know, you never know when it's their time," he says. "Just love and be there as much as possible."
Bethel United Methodist Church Pastor Leyton Alan Mears released a statement:
"Our hearts and prayers are with Noah and his family. All of us at Bethel UMC is [sic] deeply saddened by this accident and the tragic turn of events. Our focus at this time is providing care and support for all those involved."
Chambers was a student Rockingham County Middle School, which also released a statement:
We wanted to extend our sincere condolences to the family of Noah Chambers. We are very sad for their loss and we will miss Noah so very much. Noah was a very sweet child and he was well liked by his friends and staff. We will have additional crisis counselors at RCMS tomorrow and for as long as we need them. We will also have a moment of silence in honor of Noah tomorrow morning. The students will also have the opportunity to make cards for the family of Noah so that they know we are thinking of them. Our thoughts and prayers are with the family of Noah Chambers and our RCMS family.
The aforementioned GoFundMe account is raising money to pay for Chambers' medical and funeral expenses. A fundraiser on CustomInk is also raising money for the same purpose by selling shirts that say #NoahStrong.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details