Jeff Fenholt, lead singer in the original Broadway production Jesus Christ Superstar, died Tuesday. He was 68 years old.
His son, Pastor Tristan Fenholt, posted the news of his father's death on Facebook.
"Yesterday, my dad—Jeff Fenholt—went home to be with the Lord," he wrote. "Like all of us, he was not a perfect man, but he knew the perfect Savior (Jesus), and loved to share the gospel with as many people as possible. His music and ministry literally touched the lives of hundreds of thousands of people. He truly loved the Lord... and still does. I love you and miss you, Dad! 9/15/1950 — 9/10/2019"
In his post, Tristan included an old video of his father singing in church. Watch it in this article.
Jeff's health was failing before he was discovered dead in his home, though details regarding his illness are scarce, according to TMZ.
Although Jeff was not the lead singer in the original 1970 concept album of Jesus Christ Superstar, he debuted as the lead when the rock opera began performing at the Mark Hellinger Theatre in 1971, according to Deadline.
After he stopped performing in the gospel-themed musical, Jeff became a television evangelist on Trinity Broadcast Network (TBN). Faith on Film TV's Isaac Hernandez used to direct Jeff's shows on TBN. On Twitter, he wrote that Jeff "was always so much fun to be with":
I just learned that my friend Jeff Fenholt has gone on to be with the Lord. I had the pleasure of directing his shows on TBN for several years. He was always so much fun to be with. I spoke with him a few months ago as he shared some of his ideas for a new show. RIP Jeff pic.twitter.com/mkuXfiTRBZ— Faith on Film TV (@FaithonFilmTV) September 11, 2019
Tristan also posted on Facebook a comment from Andrew Lloyd Webber, composer of Jesus Christ Superstar:
"Farewell to Jeff Fenholt, a huge part of the JCS story in the USA and an unforgettable Jesus in the original New York production," Webber said.
According to Tristan, Tim Rice, lyricist for the musical, wrote: "Another sad loss from the ranks of those who helped Andrew [Lloyd Webber] and me enormously in our early days in musical theatre. Jeff Fenholt, the first ever JCS on Broadway, has died too early. RIP Jeff and thank you."
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details