Evangelist Jay Lowder says he was shocked to learn more than half of practicing Christian Millennials think it's wrong to share their faith, according to a new Barna study.
"They're not equipped, they're very intimidated," Lowder says. "And that responsibility falls on pastors, because there's a lot of pastors that they themselves don't do the work of evangelism."
Lowder is a full-time evangelist with Jay Lowder Harvest Ministries.
According to the study:
Almost all practicing Christians believe that part of their faith means being a witness about Jesus (ranging from 95 percent to 97 percent among all generational groups), and that the best thing that could ever happen to someone is for them to know Jesus (94 percent to 97 percent). Millennials in particular feel equipped to share their faith with others. For instance, almost three-quarters say they know how to respond when someone raises questions about faith (73 percent), and that they are gifted at sharing their faith with other people (73 percent). This is higher than any other generational group: Gen X (66 percent), Boomers (59 percent) and Elders (56 percent).
Despite this, many Millennials are unsure about the actual practice of evangelism. Almost half of Millennials (47 percent) agree at least somewhat that it is wrong to share one's personal beliefs with someone of a different faith in hopes that they will one day share the same faith. This is compared to a little over one-quarter of Gen X (27 percent), and one in five Boomers (19 percent) and Elders (20 percent). (Though Gen Z teens were not included in this study, their thoroughly post-Christian posture will likely amplify this stance toward evangelism.)
Lowder offers insight into the study, evangelism and more in this podcast interview. Check it out.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details