Christian composer Kurt Kaiser died on Monday. He was 83.
Kaiser is the writer behind popular hits like "Pass It On" and "Oh How he Loves You and Me," among 300 more.
"We mourn the death of Kurt Kaiser," according to DaySpring Baptist Church, which he helped found. "[Monday] morning, Kurt peacefully passed from this life. Please hold Pat in your prayers, along with their children, grandchildren, their families, and all of Kurt's many friends who will miss him. Kurt was very special to many, many people around the world through his music, and, in personal ways, to those who shared life at DaySpring."
According to the Waco Tribune, Kaiser worked with famed Christian artists for more than 60 years, including Kathleen Battle, Christopher Parkening, George Beverly Shea, Ernie Ford, Jerome Hines, Ethel Waters, Burl Ives, Ken Medema, the duo Hale & Wilder, Joni Eareckson Tada and others.
Kaiser also mentored up-and-coming Christian musicians and composers such as John Purifoy, Don Cason, Mark Hayes, Deborah Harris and Gary Rhodes.
"He was a remarkable combination of musical excellence that could not be challenged, and heart and an ear for what the youth of American churches wanted to say," says Terry York. York is a professor of Christian ministry and church music in Baylor University's Truett Seminary and a longtime member of Dayspring Baptist Church. "Kids would hear a song, have tears in their eyes and then whistle it for the rest of their lives."
Kaiser was born in Chicago in 1934, and moved to Waco, Texas, in 1959 with his wife, Pat.
In 1992, he received a lifetime achievement award from the American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers.
He was inducted into the Gospel Music Hall of Fame in 2001.
Baylor awarded him its Pro Ecclesia Medal of Service in 2017.
A service will be held at 2 p.m. Friday at First Baptist Church of Waco at 500 Webster Avenue.
KWTX reports Kaiser is survived by his wife and four children and their spouses: Kris Kaiser Olson and Charles Olson of Waco; Kelli and Kent Kaiser of Sugar Land; Janet and Craig Kaiser of Houston; and Gail and Tim Kaiser of Coppell. Other survivors include 10 grandchildren, two great-grandchildren, sister Sigrid Schultz and brothers Helmuth Kaiser, Martin Kaiser and Gerhard Kaiser.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details