Is video gaming a true addiction? That is a question being debated by professionals worldwide.
Dr. Linda Mintle, a licensed marriage and family therapist and best-selling author, says Internet gaming is looked at differently by national and international health organizations.
Mintle recalled the story of a 23-year-old man who died of a heart condition while playing video games in an internet cafe in Taiwan. There were more than 30 gamers playing around the man, and no one noticed what had happened to him for more than nine hours.
"And there's just story after story like that because of the preoccupation and the all-consuming power that some of these games have on some people," Mintle told CBN News.
She also gave three signs to look for if someone has a gaming problem.
1. Have you been struggling with gaming for more than a year? Are you preoccupied with gaming? Does it take precedence over everything else in your life?
2. Does your preoccupation have negative consequences with your life? Is it interfering?
3. Is gaming somehow causing you personal distress? Is it impairing your life in any way?
Mintle also had some advice for parents whose children play video games. Just as with other digital media, they really have to pay attention to the number of hours children are playing.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Incredible Savings, Inspiration and Encouragement from CHARISMA:
- End Of The Year - Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
- Big Discounts On Book Bundles & Gifts: Click Here to view all our bundles and save up to 72%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, and more.
- FREE eCourses by CHARISMA: Click Here to view all eight of our free courses. Topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Women Of God: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Prayer Changes Everything! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.