On May 4, 2018, the American Association of Christian Counselors (AACC) will provide a free, all day training on the opioid crisis called The Opioid Crisis: Creating Church and Community Collaboration. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Center for Faith-based and Neighborhood Partnerships Director Shannon Royce will participate in an afternoon panel discussion on church and community partnerships.
The opioid crisis, which President Trump declared as a national emergency, made up 75 percent of the 64,000 overdose deaths last year alone.
Tim Clinton, president of the AACC, says, "Churches must be agents of healing in the fight against the opioid epidemic. Our hope is that, by building effective and helpful relationships with community institutions, churches can complement and amplify the good work already being done."
During the morning session, attendees will learn the basics of substance abuse and addiction before a more detailed presentation on opioid addiction, treatment and recovery. Special emphasis will be given to how the church can effectively respond as lay, pastoral and mental health care providers.
The afternoon session will feature a panel of clinical, government and nonprofit experts who will discuss strategies for how churches can develop collaborative relationships within their communities. The panel will be moderated by Dr. David Jenkins, professor of counseling and director of the M.A. in Addiction Counseling program in the department of counselor education and family studies at Liberty University.
The all-day training will take place Friday, May 4, and will be hosted at Grace Fellowship Church in York, Pennsylvania.
For more information and to register, visit: eventbrite.com/e/a
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details