Providence College student and resident assistant Michael Smalanskas became the subject of vicious criticism and harassment after he adorned a bulletin board in his dorm hall with messages and photos promoting the biblical definition of marriage. His story gained national attention after students at the historically Catholic college vandalized the board, staged a protest and posted a grotesque drawing in a school restroom of Smalanskas being raped.
In an interview with Faithwire, Smalanskas discussed the controversy and what he believes it means for Providence College and schools like it.
Smalanskas told Faithwire that when he set up the bulletin board display on March 1, he expected some negative reactions. Though Providence is a Catholic college that encourages diversity and inclusivity, conservative students who defend church teaching on social issues like marriage are an increasingly persecuted minority, he explained.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Incredible Savings, Inspiration and Encouragement from CHARISMA:
- End Of The Year - Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
- Big Discounts On Book Bundles & Gifts: Click Here to view all our bundles and save up to 72%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, and more.
- FREE eCourses by CHARISMA: Click Here to view all eight of our free courses. Topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Women Of God: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Prayer Changes Everything! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.