A Catholic diocese in Michigan forbade a grave marker mentioning a deceased woman's support for "priest rapist victims," sparking outrage from the woman's son.
The Catholic Diocese of Joliet told Jack Ruhl that it will not allow the proposed grave marker for his mother, Marguerite Ridgeway, in one of its cemeteries because mention of the alleged rapist priests qualifies as "explicit language," according to Crux Now.
Maureen Harton, an attorney for the diocese, suggested in a letter to Rhul that he consider using alternate inscriptions, but Rhul demanded that the diocese not dishonor his mother by continuing to delay the installation of the grave marker as is, according to the Chicago Tribune.
"I don't understand why this marker is controversial in the least," Rhul said, according to the Chicago Tribune. "It states 'She Supported Priest Rapist Victims.' Doesn't the diocese of Joliet also support priest rapist victims?"
Harton stated in her letter to Rhul that the issue, as the diocese saw it, was not one of the subject of the inscription but of the wording.
"This is not a subject that we at the diocese of Joliet shy away from; it is a sad chapter in our history that we think about daily," Harton said, according to the Chicago Tribune. "Our concern must be with the many people who visit Assumption Cemetery with the expectation that their quiet time with their loved ones will be peaceful, tranquil and free of stress and anxiety."
Ridgeway died in 2015 after many years of lending emotional support to victims of abuse from church clergy, one of whom is Rhul's wife, Diane Ruhl.
Ridgeway grew up a devout Catholic but stopped going to Mass and donating money when more and more victims came forward to share their stories. Despite her falling-out with the Catholic church, Ridgeway requested a Catholic burial service and that her body be interred at Assumption Cemetery in Wheaton.
Rhul continues to fight back against the diocese over the inscription for his mother's grave marker and insists that the word "rapist" be included.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
It's a NEW YEAR! Get ready for a NEW YOU!
- New Year Discounts On Book Bundles & Gifts: Click Here to view all our bundles and save up to 72%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- Go Deeper with God in a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all eight of our free courses. Topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Anointed Woman Of God: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Never Stop Praying - Prayer Changes Everything! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- New Year - New You - Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Subscription Special: Subscribe to Charisma for two years for Only $29.97 and get two free gifts. Gift #1 The Harbinger. Gift #2 The Harbinger II. Both books are by New York Times Best-Selling author Jonathan Cahn. View Offer