U.S. conservatives are being labelled as "hateful" and "bigoted" simply for opposing the liberal agenda, a commentator has said.
Hannah Scherlacher spoke out after she was placed on an LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual and transsexual) hate list by the Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC).
She said she was put on the list following a radio interview she did with the Family Research Council.
Scherlacher, who works for conservative free speech group Campus Reform, said she was labelled an LGBT-hater despite the topic not being discussed.
"The segment was about socialism, but because FRC holds traditional family values, I was labeled an LGBT-hater just for being a guest on the show."
She described the list as a "bullying tactic employed by the left to silence conservative ideas."
Scherlacher said such a list "not only stifles free speech and expression, it empowers and emboldens vicious groups and individuals to violently attack people."
"Americans are afraid to voice any form of dissent from the social or economic progressive agenda for fear of losing their academic standings, their jobs, or being labeled hateful and bigoted."
"If this trend of bullying and ostracizing anyone with a different opinion continues, we can only expect a chilling, mob-rule effect and the suppression of speech and ideas in this country".
Pentagon cuts SPLC ties
Her response comes as it was revealed the Pentagon recently stopped using SPLC as a training resource on extremism.
According to an email seen by the Daily Caller, the Department of Defense has removed all references to the SPLC from its training materials.
Assistant US attorney Brian J Field said this decision was "based upon guidance from the Office of Diversity Management and Equal Opportunity".
Children's Charity Axed
Last month, pro-family group The Ruth Institute was axed by its online payments provider after it was placed on the LGBT hate list.
Online donation processing company Vanco cancelled its services to the group without notice, stating it believed it was affiliated "with a product/service that promotes hate, violence, harassment and/or abuse".
The Ruth Institute, which helps children suffering from the effects of family breakdown, said the move was probably due to its traditional stance on LGBT issues.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details