As a teacher in Houston, Texas, I wasn't thrilled when school was cancelled this morning. You see, I teach in a high-risk area where kids go to class to avoid their unstable homes. And when I say unstable, I mean emotionally and physically, so a hurricane on the literal horizon does not bode well.
As we settle in, waiting for this storm to pass, we could really use your prayer in a lot of places. Not sure how or what to pray? I've got a few starting places for you.
1. Pray for peace. There's a lot of panic happening as tensions and fear rise. Where there is panic, fewer people make wise and careful decisions on how to be safe.
2. Pray for the flooding. Houston is known for the way our city fills with water after a quick afternoon thunderstorm. I can't even imagine five days of torrential downpours. Pray that the waters will move and the city can dry out quickly.
3. Pray for our homeless population. Big cities come with large homeless populations, and those are often the people most harshly affected. Pray for shelters to have spaces and people to have open hearts to share food, water and safe spaces.
4. Pray for long-term solutions. It's so easy to have quick responses to national disasters, but the news moves on and so does the help—long before the city has recovered. Pray for help as long as it's needed, while builders repair damage and people move back into their homes. Pray that those who want to help won't be easily distracted and the world won't pass us by.
5. Pray for resilience. Many people depend on day-to-day work for paychecks. Many of the families I work with don't have a steady income and can't go back to work even one or two days after a storm. Five days of rain means many families are without their normal paychecks and that can wreak havoc on their lives.
Prayer has changed a storm before, and I have faith the Lord can do it again.
Sally Justice is a high school Spanish teacher in Houston, Texas. She likes queso and humans and wants to make the world a better place.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
It's a NEW YEAR! Get ready for a NEW YOU!
- New Year Discounts On Book Bundles & Gifts: Click Here to view all our bundles and save up to 72%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- Go Deeper with God in a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all eight of our free courses. Topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Anointed Woman Of God: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Never Stop Praying - Prayer Changes Everything! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- New Year - New You - Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Subscription Special: Subscribe to Charisma for two years for Only $29.97 and get two free gifts. Gift #1 The Harbinger. Gift #2 The Harbinger II. Both books are by New York Times Best-Selling author Jonathan Cahn. View Offer