In a Denver church that opened April 20, the term "high priest" takes on a whole new meaning. After all, according to a Huffington Post article, marijuana is the congregation's "holy sacrament."
If you weren't aware, April 20 is Weed Day, and the media have made an over-the-top effort to highlight the drug. But amidst articles on cannabis cocktails and weed-growing "nuns," the Huffington Post's piece on Denver's new International Church of Cannabis might just be the most disturbing.
Upon entering its 13,000-square-foot building, visitors are met with a burst of color from walls covered in multihued, geometric patterns. As a fundraising video explains, Denver's new installation is the "spiritual home to adults everywhere who ritually take the sacred flower to find inspiration and meaning."
And why do they need a large building for their community? In the words of one member: "Others have a place [to worship]. But where is ours?"
The members of the congregation call themselves elevationists—for obvious reasons—and eschew all religious rules, authorities and higher powers. "We do not believe in authoritarian structures," Lee Molloy explained to the Huffington Post, "nor do we profess the arrogance of knowing God's mind."
But they do know the power of a good joint. "When we ritually take cannabis our mind is elevated and we become a better version of self," Molloy continued.
"The truth is, elevationists are everywhere, but we need to finally come out of the shadows," the promo video urges. "We use the sacrament of cannabis to elevate our lives and find our personal path to spiritual fulfillment."
Founded in Indiana, the "First Church of Cannabis" sued the state in 2015 for prohibiting pot, claiming that the then newly enacted Religious Freedom Restoration Act should protect its congregations' right to use the drug.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details