The Western Jurisdiction of the United Methodist Church issued a plea for money, announcing the denomination lost members and funds after they consecrated a lesbian bishop.
"We now invite you to stand with us supporting congregations and brother and sister pastors in need. We seek your prayers and your monetary gifts," Mountain Sky Area leaders write in a statement.
When Bishop Karen Oliveto was ordained and consecrated last summer, ripples tore through the denomination, ultimately hurting the Western Jurisdiction.
"As we crossed the threshold, there has been stress in some of our most theologically diverse congregations. Some have lost members. Others have had members withdraw their financial support," the statement says.
Despite the loss, the Western Sky Area refuses to remove support from Oliveto.
"We believe theological diversity is critical for the vitality of The United Methodist Church. We seek to help our churches as we live into this new future. All our churches throughout the Mountain Sky Area play a vital role in witnessing to the Good News of the Gospel of Jesus Christ in their communities. We remain committed to all churches in our area," the statement continues.
After Oliveto's selection, many devoted UMC congregants protested, "faithful" members were asked to renounce her.
"Therefore, we call upon the Council of Bishops to do one of the following:  To do all within its power to rectify this breach of our covenant by issuing a strong statement opposing Oliveto's election, and petitioning the Judicial Council to rule the election null and void. Or , expedite the appointment of the members to its "Special Commission," and to revise the commission's mandate as follows: the sole purpose of the special commission is to devise an equitable and structured plan of separation of The United Methodist Church and to present such a plan to a called General Conference to be held no later than Oct. 31, 2018," according to a statement from Good News Magazine.
According to the UMC Book of Discipline, homosexuality is incompatible with Christian teaching.
"Therefore self-avowed practicing homosexuals are not to be certified as candidates, ordained as ministers, or appointed to serve in The United Methodist Church," the church states.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details