Pharrell Williams was slated to perform his song from the Hidden Figures soundtrack with gospel singer Kim Burrell on "The Ellen DeGeneres Show" on Thursday. Instead, Williams and DeGeneres addressed the controversy that sparked when a video of Burrell making homophobic statements went viral.
Burrell, also a preacher at Houston's Love & Liberty Fellowship Church, called homosexuality "perverted" and an embarrassment to the church in a two-minute-long video leaked earlier this week. In a tweet after the video circulated, DeGeneres made clear Burrell would not be performing on her show. Williams responded both on the show and with an Instagram post that "Hidden Figures" star Janelle Monae also re-posted.
"There's no space, there's no room for any kind of prejudice in 2017 and moving on," Williams told DeGeneres.
While Williams noted he loves Burrell just as he loves anyone, he said it was this kind of love and inclusion, not Burrell's hate, that is necessary to keep our "big, gigantic, beautiful, colorful world" working.
"This universe is love and that's the only way it will function," Pharrell said. "And I get it that sometimes some of the divisive stuff works. We learned that lesson last year that sometimes divisiveness works. But you have to choose what side you're on. I'm choosing empathy; I'm choosing inclusion; I'm choosing love for everybody, just trying to lift everyone. Even when I disagree with someone, I'm wishing them the best and hoping for the best because we can't win the other way."
Hundreds of people with the same sentiments as Williams made their feelings known with Change.org petitions, demanding DeGeneres keep Burrell from appearing on the show. In addition, Frank Ocean, whose new album features Burrell, got some flack himself from an unexpected figure: his mom.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details