Todd Fisher, son of Debbie Reynolds and brother of Carrie Fisher, says his mother just wanted to be with her daughter.
Reynolds died Wednesday, just one day after her daughter. Reynolds was 84.
"She went to be with Carrie. In fact, those were the last words that she spoke this morning," he told E! News. "More specifically, she said that she really, she was under a lot of stress. ... She held it together beautifully, obviously, for the last couple of days, but she was under a lot of emotion and stress from the loss [of Carrie] and it's pretty much what triggered this event."
People magazine reports Reynolds, star of Singin' in the Rain and Tammy and the Bachelor, attended a Presbyterian church in Hollywood.
Todd's road to spiritual awakening was full of odd twists. His mother attended a Presbyterian church in Beverly Hills, and his father is Jewish. (His parents divorced when Todd was 3, and Reynolds married shoe-store magnate Harry Karl a year later.) As children, Carrie and Todd were encouraged to sample both Christianity and Judaism and to choose between the two. "But as far as I was concerned," Todd remembers, "they were both boring."
Todd became a charismatic church leader shortly after Carrie's catapult to fame with the Star Wars franchise. He started his own church in his mother's studio in the '80s, but the congregation rapidly outgrew the space.
"We preach the truth, and if that means poking fun at some of the traditions—well, hey, that's just part of it. Jesus spent his career exposing the Pharisees and Sadducees because they weren't worshipping God, they were worshipping traditions. Those people are still with us today," he told People in 1984.
Todd appears to be the most outspoken about his faith in the family trio.
Carrie described her faith: "I love the idea of God, but it's not stylistically in keeping with the way I function. I would describe myself as an enthusiastic agnostic who would be happy to be shown that there is a God."
Please pray for the Reynolds-Fisher family during this heartbreaking time.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details