A pastor turned in a mother in his congregation for poisoning and killing her children with anti-freeze, according to reports.
"They might have gotten away with murder if the pastor of their church hadn't tipped off police," PEOPLE's KC Baker writes. "His anonymous alert came after months of apparent misfortune for the Staudte family, as first Diane's husband and then her son fell ill and died. Next, one of her daughters was hospitalized. But where others in the community were shocked and saddened, her pastor became suspicious."
Diane Staudte was the "mastermind" of the murderous plot and recruited daughter Rachel to assist.
The two poisoned husband Mark Staudte, who died in April 2012, before killing son Shaun just five months later. Daughter Sarah was hospitalized for the anti-freeze effects.
During the investigation, police said it was an anonymous tip that led them to pursue a poison lead. New reports show the tipster was actually the pastor of the family's church.
"She was at church and someone else told him that Sarah was at the hospital and wasn't expected to survive," Springfield police detective Neal McAmis tells PEOPLE. "He was so troubled and bothered, and that's why he had to come forward."
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details