A national coalition of leaders is calling for a second round of prayer walking the nation for 40 days leading up to the elections. This group includes Dick Eastman, president of Every Home for Christ; Dave Butts of the National Prayer Committee; Lisa Crump of the National Day of Prayer; Ed Silvoso; David Thompson of Harvest Evangelism; John Robb of the International Prayer Coalition; Dutch Sheets; Lou Engle; Mike and Cindy Jacobs; and others. The event begins Sept. 30 and goes through Election Day, Nov. 8, 2016.
The need to see the United States covered in prayer is extensive. We are clearly a nation in trouble. A battered economy, political divisiveness, the culture wars, racial uneasiness and a sidelined church provide the dry tinder for an inflammatory national election in November. Many stake their hopes or fears on the outcome.
While believing in and encouraging the importance of exercising our right to vote, we also call the Christian church in America to do that which is even more critical in these days ... to pray! The seriousness of our day requires an intensity of prayer that is unprecedented. This is why the As One is calling for 40 days and nights of unrelenting intercession on behalf of our nation, including prayer walking our neighborhoods.
We are doing what Israel did in Joel's day:
Yet even now, declares the Lord, return to Me with all your heart, and with fasting and weeping and with mourning. Rend your heart and not your garments; return to the Lord your God, for He is gracious and merciful, slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love; and He relents from punishing. Who knows? He might turn aside and relent, and He might leave behind a blessing—a grain offering and a food offering for the Lord your God.
Blow the ram's horn in Zion, consecrate a fast, call a sacred assembly. Gather the people, consecrate the congregation, assemble the elders, gather the children, and those nursing at the breast. Let the bridegroom leave his room and the bride her chamber. Between the temple porch and the altar, let the priests, ministers of the Lord, weep and say, "Have pity upon Your people, and do not make your inheritance a disgrace, a mockery among the nations. Why should they say among the peoples, 'Where is their God?'" (Joel 2:12-17).
Our focus in prayer is simple. We are praying for:
- Revival in the church - Pray that another Great Awakening would sweep across America as the Lord's people humble themselves in repentance and prayer. "If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land" (2 Chron.7:14).
- A standard of righteousness to be raised over this nation - "Righteousness exalts a nation, but sin is a disgrace to any people" (Prov. 14:34).
- God to intervene in the elections - This is not a partisan or political effort but a plea to bring God into a process that desperately needs His wisdom and direction. "I am the Lord your God, who teaches you what is best for you, who directs you in the way you should go" (Is. 48:17).
This is a call, not from one ministry or organization, but from diverse leaders from across the spectrum of the American church. The leaders of these organizations met in Colorado Springs, Colorado, in December 2015 to seek the Lord together for His strategic prayer plan for the U.S. leading up to the national elections in November.
As One recognizes that it is critical for us to come together in unity. This is not a call to a particular event; it is a pleading for all Christians to do something proactive and powerful in prayer for the 40 days leading up to our fall elections. Prayer walking our neighborhoods makes this a personal activity that allows us together to impact our nation. A similar call to prayer was issued earlier this year between Easter and the National Day of Prayer and thousands of believers joined together to prayer walk their communities.
The website prayasone.nationbuilder.com has been set up with tools churches and individuals can use for their prayer walking efforts. One can find multiple prayer guides, including the official Fast Forward America 40-Day Prayer Guide, written by Dick Eastman. Individuals and groups can "Adopt their Street" and "Adopt a Cop" using an interactive map through the site. If you register, points for prayer can be emailed to you daily.
As leaders in the body of Christ, we commit ourselves to prayer during these days of decision regarding the future of our nation. Even more, we commit ourselves to mobilize prayer in our spheres of influence, that every part of the Lord's church would join together in day and night prayer for the intervention of God on behalf of our nation.
As in Joel's day, the call is for everyone ... all the Lord's people from the oldest to the youngest. It's for everyone to humble themselves and pray. How will you respond? How will you pray?
Between now and then, will you help us blow the trumpet?
Dave Butts is the Chairman for America's National Prayer Committee.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details