Baltimore Ravens' Benjamin Watson may play a tight end on the field, but he's taking his level of offense to a higher level.
Watson uses his prominence to tackle bitter issues that divide Americans, even today, like the racism that perpetuates abortion.
"I do know that blacks kind of represent a large portion of the abortions, and I do know that honestly the whole idea with Planned Parenthood and (Margaret) Sanger in the past was to exterminate blacks, and it's kind of ironic that it's working," Watson tells Turning Points.
Abort73 reports African-Americans make up 12.6 percent of the U.S. population according to a 2010 census, but the Centers for Disease Control reports that black women accounted for 35.4 percent of all abortions in 2009.
Other statistics indicate African-Americans make up 37 percent of abortions nationwide.
"We (as minorities) support candidates, and overwhelmingly support the idea of having Planned Parenthood and the like, and yet, that is why she created it," Watson says.
"We are buying it hook, line and sinker, like it's a great thing. It's just amazing to me and abortion saddens me period, but it seems to be something that is really pushed on minorities and provided to minorities especially as something that they should do. In the public, it seems to be painted that when minorities get pregnant they need to get abortions, especially when it comes to teen pregnancy.
"It's like when black girls are pregnant, it's like a statistic, but when white girls get pregnant, they get a TV show. My book talks about race, and how all these things are kind of forced into our brains. When we think about abortion, what's the picture we get in our minds? It's usually a minority, and those images are reinforced in culture. We sit here and talk about advancing the black agenda, whatever that means, we talk about our interests, and what's important to us—like having political power and advancement and all those things—and then we are turning around and we are killing our children.
"And we are buying the lie that it's our personal decision to make. Honestly, I am sympathetic, I am. Because I know it's a hard decision. I don't know exactly what it's like to be pregnant and to be a single mom, or even to be a married mom and not want the child. I would never assume people are having abortions flippantly. I know people have them for convenience, but that doesn't mean it's not a tough choice for the mothers to make, so I always want to be sympathetic to that."
Well said, Watson, well said.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details