Dallas Theological Seminary (DTS), one of the world's leading seminaries for training evangelical Christian leaders, will require all its students beginning this fall to receive an entry-level certification in the Sexual Abuse Awareness Training offered by MinistrySafe.
DTS officials said that, to the best of their knowledge, the school is the first seminary to make this kind of training a requirement.
"There are some issues that a seminary just can't prepare you for and that you have to learn on the job once you're out in ministry," said Dr. Mark Bailey, president of DTS. "With this issue, if you're learning on the job, something terrible has already happened. We don't want our students and the children who are served by their ministries to experience that. That's why we're pleased to partner with MinistrySafe to equip our students to protect those who are most vulnerable."
DTS has more than 2,200 students and 15,000 alumni. Even though they are no longer enrolled, the alumni will have free access to the training.
Fort Worth attorneys Gregory Love and Kimberlee Norris, who specialize in sexual-abuse cases, said that ministries tend to lag behind secular organizations in establishing safeguards against the sexual abuse of children.
They founded MinistrySafe in 1995 to provide state-of-the-art tools and training "to protect children and those who serve them." MinistrySafe has provided training and resources to more than 3,500 organizations and 450,000 staff members and volunteers on six continents in various languages.
The online training developed for DTS includes videos of a presentation by Love and Norris and a multiple-choice test and can be completed in less than two hours. The training provides key insights into the "grooming" procedures used by molesters.
"Sexual abusers will expend an extraordinary amount of effort to get others to think they are trustworthy and responsible," Norris said. "That's why when the identity of an abuser comes to light, people often have a hard time believing it."
The sexual abuse of children is a largely hidden problem. Love and Norris said there are 60 million survivors of sexual abuse in the U.S. — roughly one out of five Americans – and two-thirds of them won't talk about it until they are adults, if ever.
In addition, DTS and MinistrySafe will offer an in-depth course for credit, likely beginning with the spring semester in 2017, that will provide more than 40 hours of content, including preventative protocols for ministry settings. Both courses will be available to DTS students online.
DTS alumni represent 70-some denominations and 100-plus countries.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details