After 25 years of chairing the National Day of Prayer task force, Shirley Dobson is passing her intercessory prayer mantle for the organization to Anne Graham Lotz.
"Let me share with you just a little about this incredible woman of faith. Anne Graham Lotz is called 'the best preacher in the family' by her father, Billy Graham. In fact, the New York Times named Anne as one of the five most influential evangelists of her generation. She is a prayer warrior, a powerful speaker, a best-selling author of many much-loved books, and the founder and president of her own organization, AnGeL Ministries," Dobson said in a statement.
The National Day of Prayer was first proposed in 1952, according to their website, with the subcommittee to plan the event established in 1970s. Vonette Bright, who died late last year, was the first chairperson of the National Prayer Committee.
Dobson accepted the chair to the task force in 1991. "I was to call the nation to prayer with only $6,000 in the bank and the help of one volunteer. I sought the Lord and was reminded that little is much if God is in it ... and He was!" Dobson says.
"This year marks my 25th year as the chairman of the National Day of Prayer and as I look back over the years, it is amazing to see how the Lord has blessed and grown this ministry to our nation. We now have eight incredible National Area Leaders who lead tens of thousands of volunteers. We have had as many has 43,000 prayer gatherings on the First Thursday of May with millions united in repentance before God. The National Observance is now broadcast into 90 countries around the world and lives are being changed and hearts transformed by this growing movement of prayer."
This year's theme begs the country to "Wake up, America!"
The event featured speakers such as Rep. Robert Aderholt, R-Ala., Rep. Louie Gohmert, R-Texas, Senate Chaplain Barry Black, House Chaplain Patrick Conroy, Dr. Tony Evans, Rabbi Jonathan Cahn, Shirley Dobson, Dr. James Dobson, Anne Graham Lotz, Veritas, Dr. Dick Eastman, Dr. David Butts and the Rev. John Bornschein.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details