The Journey Church removed Pastor Darrin Patrick from his post due to "pastoral misconduct," according to several reports.
"The findings of this investigation and further confession from Pastor Darrin, combined with deep historical patterns of sin, led us to the heart-breaking decision to remove Pastor Darrin from office at The Journey and require him to step down from all internal and external leadership positions," reads a letter Journey Church sent to members.
Patrick was the founding pastor of Journey Church and the vice president of the Acts 29 Network. The Acts 29 Network has planted more than 500 churches around the world, including the former Mars Hill Church pastored by Mark Driscoll.
Patrick was removed for violating the "high standards" demanded for elders in marriage, including inappropriate connections with two women.
The Journey Board also confirmed Patrick violated the following:
● abandonment of genuine biblical community (Titus 1:8)
● refusal of personal accountability (failure to be a fellow elder according to 1 Pet. 5:1)
● lack of self-control (1 Tim. 3:2)
● manipulation and lying (Titus 1:8)
● domineering over those in his charge (1 Pet. 5:3)
● misuse of power/authority (1 Pet. 5:3)
● a history of building his identity through ministry and media platforms (necessity to be "sober-minded" in 1 Tim. 3:2 and avoid selfish gain in 1 Pet. 5:2)
"We did not arrive at this decision lightly but rather agonizingly, with deep consternation for our brother, after many hours with Darrin and his wife, Amie, praying diligently together, seeking professional counsel and outside assistance, and reflecting over a long and repeated pattern of breaking trust with other leaders," the letter continues.
Though Patrick's blog has been shut down and his Twitter account made private, the removed pastor included a note in Journey's letter.
"I am utterly horrified by the depth of my sin and devastated by the terrible effects of it on myself, my family and so many others, including all of you," Patrick writes. "I am so deeply and terribly sorry for the pain that my sin is causing you, as well as the broken trust that my sin has clearly produced.
"In short, I am a completely devastated man, utterly broken by my sin and in need of deep healing. The way that the Journey elders have demonstrated their desire to see me restored to Jesus, as well as their love for me, Amie and our family is nothing short of miraculous and beyond gracious. They have put together a thoroughly comprehensive restoration plan for myself and our family, and we have great hope for God's healing, restoration and reconciliation through this process. We are profoundly grateful for the elders' care in this, and are completely committed to every aspect of the plan that is in place," he writes.
Patrick concluded: "Journey, you are in good hands with your elders. Please know that Amie and I are completely committed to our marriage as well as the well-being of our children and family. We earnestly desire your prayers for us in this terribly painful but hopeful season. We are desperately clinging to God's promise that He loves us completely in spite of our sin, delights in us when we are at our weakest, and that He is, indeed, the restorer and healer of all brokenness."
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details