Tullian Tchividjian, who resigned as the pastor of Coral Ridge Presbyterian Church last year after admitting to an affair, has been fired from his new position at Willow Creek Presbyterian Church in Winter Springs, Florida.
Tchividjian, grandson of evangelist Billy Graham, came forward to church elders Monday with "some previously undisclosed failures in his life," said Willow Creek Pastor Kevin Labby. He had joined the church in September.
More than half the board of Tchividjian's ministry, the LIBERATE Network, also resigned this week after they were made aware of those "failures."
"What we were trying to do was all predicated on trust, and the elders felt as though that trust had been compromised," Labby said Thursday (March 17).
Tchividjian resigned as senior pastor of Coral Ridge Presbyterian Church in Orlando last year after an affair. He since has filed for divorce from his wife.
He originally had been given the title of director of ministry development at Willow Creek, which Labby said was "poorly chosen" and a "mistake" on his part. Really, the pastor said, it was a sabbatical "set up to care for him and his family so he could pursue healing and counseling and rest." Tchividjian had no ministerial role and worked completely behind the scenes at the church, Labby said.
The 43-year-old pastor had attended Willow Creek while in seminary, Labby said. Wednesday was Tchividjian's last day at the church.
"He'd been going to counseling," Labby said. "He'd been doing everything we asked of him. It's really unfortunate.
"The way he responded to the elders' decision was so good. He showed such contrition and humility. He didn't push back. I really think it was something that probably sat there for a long time. It's just hard to bring everything out."
Those elders also asked the pastor to step down from the board of LIBERATE, which Tchividijan created in 2011, because "they didn't want to blur the line there," Labby said. Five board members have resigned, too, including two other board members who are part of Willow Creek, he said.
LIBERATE recently announced it was relaunching as what Labby called a "message"-based ministry, rather than a "messenger"-based ministry, focused around Tchividjian. It is a resource ministry whose mission is "to connect God's inexhaustible grace to an exhausted world" through multimedia, according to its website.
Messages sent to Tchividjian via Twitter were not immediately returned, though he told Christianity Today he was committed to the process of repentance.
"Nothing grieves me more than the fact that people are suffering because of my sins, both in my past as well as in the present. I want to be perfectly clear that I take full responsibility for this," he told the magazine.
© 2016 Religion News Service. All rights reserved.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details