The Presbyterian Church USA needs money to sustain member losses after their endorsement of same-sex marriage. Already, the denomination is on track to lose 75,000 members each year through 2020.
According to The Layman, the PC(USA) General Assembly recommended increasing the per-capita rate by 3 percent. The per-capita is the amount of money per member congregations are asked to pay the presbytery, synod and General Assembly.
Per capita dollars pay for the costs of holding a General Assembly—including paying for the travel, room and board of commissioners and advisory delegates, several of whom would not be able to afford these expenses on their own, according to the Office of the General Assembly.
Since fully embracing same-sex marriage, the PC(USA) experienced rapid downfall, with thousands of churches breaking ties with the denomination.
"Membership statistics and church numbers tell one story, but it's not the entire message of how the PC(USA) is impacting the world," said the Rev. Gradye Parsons, stated clerk of the General Assembly of the PC(USA). "God continues to breathe new life into our work and challenges us to find new, creative ways to touch and transform lives."
Despite his stance, membership continues to drop. Total membership at the end of 2014 was 1,667,767, compared to 1,760,200 at the end of 2013 and 1,849,496 at the end of 2012, according to a release.
The projected membership losses of 75,000 per year through the next four years are more than both 2013 and 2014.
"Even with a 3 percent reduction of expenses and a 3 percent raise in per capita, year-over-year losses of more than 90,000 members per year is institutionally unsustainable," says Carmen Fowler LaBerge, president of the Presbyterian Lay Committee. "To put it into perspective, that's the equivalent of closing an average of 1,000 PC(USA) churches a year."
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details