It's a tradition almost as regular as Christmas trees, cookie baking and candlelight church services—the emergence of the annual atheist-driven billboards that mock Christianity and the birth of Christ.
The newest has popped up this year in Colorado and North Carolina, depicting Santa Claus with a secretive finger drawn to his lips. He sends the message: "Go ahead and skip church! Just be good for goodness' sake. Happy Holidays!"
Author and worldview and culture expert Dr. Alex McFarland says the billboards seek to belittle Christians for their beliefs and makes a mockery of the most holy birth in history.
"These annual attempts to draw people away from the church and away from Christ at Christmas continue to be both disrespectful and intolerant of those with deeply held beliefs," McFarland says. "We know that many seek out Jesus at Christmastime, as they are invited to church by family and friends who are concerned for their souls. Perhaps like no other, Christmas is a time to join the family of God, and when others say it's silly, stupid or make-believe to consider Christianity, it belittles the true intent of the season."
Sponsored by the American Atheists, led by President David Silverman, whom McFarland has debated numerous times, the billboards are the epitome of intolerance, says apologist and founder of Reshift Ministries Jason Jimenez, who as a ministry partner of McFarland's. Together, they address America's youth at "Stand Strong" Tour events throughout the country.
"To deny Jesus' existence and tell people it's not necessary to step foot into church at Christmas is the height of intolerance," Jimenez said. "There's a constant call for tolerance of all beliefs and lifestyles, except when it comes to Christianity. Alex and I have spent years working in apologetics—defending faith—and have met thousands who are committed to the truth of Jesus Christ. It's so necessary in today's culture to be able to combat messages like this—that Jesus isn't real or isn't worth our time."
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details