Thomas More Society attorneys have sent a demand letter to Office Depot, challenging the company's refusal to print religious fliers. The office supply chain would not print prayer handouts for customer Maria Goldstein at its Schaumburg, Illinois location. The nonprofit public interest law firm labeled that refusal of service as discrimination and a violation of the Cook County Human Rights Ordinance.
"Anyone can order printing at Office Depot," said Thomas Olp, Thomas More Society special counsel attorney. "But because Ms. Goldstein's fliers had religious content—namely calling for prayer for Planned Parenthood—Office Depot refused to complete her order. This is a blatant violation of the Cook County Human Rights Ordinance, which forbids public businesses from discriminating based on religion."
On August 20, Goldstein placed her order for printing at the Office Depot store in Schaumburg, located about 30 miles northwest of downtown Chicago. The item to be printed was a flier that recounted statistics copied from Planned Parenthood's 2013-2014 annual report, mentioned the abortion provider's harvesting of fetal body parts, and included a prayer for the conversion of Planned Parenthood.
Goldstein was told by an Office Depot employee that the printing of her flier was "restricted by corporate policy" and that her order would not be filled. Subsequently, Goldstein contacted the company's Office of the Chairman multiple times to discuss the company's refusal to fill her order. Office Depot's Diane Demma, from the Office of the Chairman, defended the company store employee in their refusal to print Goldstein's flier and offered her no alternatives.
"Office Depot is discriminating against me based on my religion," stated Goldstein. "If the store can pick and choose what orders it fills based on religious content, it is refusing to treat people of faith equally. In America where we value freedom of religion, this is simply unacceptable."
The demand letter states that Office Depot must cease its unlawful refusal to service Golstein's order for photocopying or the law firm will act to secure Goldstein's rights before the Cook County Human Rights Commission, the Illinois Department of Human Rights or other appropriate venue.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details