Despite requests from African leaders to leave his views on homosexuality at home, President Barack Obama says he plans to make gay rights part of his agenda during his trip to Africa.
Obama faced criticism and growing calls from LGBT groups to press the issue aggressively while in the region.
Meanwhile in a letter, a number of Kenyan politicians and religious leaders have warned the U.S. president that any overtures on gay rights would not be welcomed in Kenya.
"We do not want him to come and talk on homosexuality in Kenya or push us to accepting that which is against our faith and culture," said Mark Kariuki, the key architect of the letter.
Kariuki leads an alliance representing 38,000 churches and 10 million Kenyan Christians.
"Let him talk about development; let him talk about cooperation; let him talk about the long-time relationship Kenya has had with America. But about our beliefs and culture-- keep off!" he said.
Obama has used previous trips to Africa to urge governments to respect gay rights. Kariuki said the open letter is a warning to the president.
"The family is the strength of a nation. If the family is destroyed, then the nation is destroyed," Kariuki said. "So we don't want to open doors for our nation to be destroyed!"
Homosexuality is illegal in Kenya and 36 other African countries.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details