Joel Osteen has built a reputation for welcoming all. As he likes to say, "I'm for everybody." God bless him.
Osteen, pastor of Lakewood Church, a megachurch in Houston, has told us he'd attend a gay wedding and told the world on the Larry King Live that it's not his place to judge who's going to heaven and who isn't.
These and other media appearances set off a firestorm of accusations that he's compromising the Word of God. Now, Osteen is dealing with another controversial issue: Islam.
In an interview with Here and Now radio's Jeremy Hobson Monday, Osteen shared how much his messages resonate with Muslims.
"I have Muslims (who) attend our church and my books sell a lot in Muslim countries as well. You know, I don't know, I don't get too deep in those kinds of things, but our ministry is about reaching out to everybody, and so I do and I do have those conversations," Osteen said.
Osteen went on to share that Lakewood had about 50 Muslims sitting on the front row of at Lakewood Church two weeks ago and said he has "good, good relations with them.
"And I think it's again, part of our ministry is, you know, our main theme is Jesus says love God with all your heart and love your neighbor as you love yourself," Osteen said. "And I don't try to put people in a box—OK, they're Jewish or they're Catholic, they're this or they're that. I just say, 'You know what, they're somebody that God's put in our path for us to love,' and that's our philosophy."
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details