The application of foreign law, particularly Shariah law, will not stand in this Texas city if the mayor has anything to say about it.
The Irving, Texas, Mayor Beth Van Duyne and the City Council resolved to uphold House Bill 562, which would prohibit foreign law from being practiced in American courts.
"Specifically, approval of this resolution will show support for amending the Texas Family Code to prevent the application of foreign law that would violate a fundamental right guaranteed by the U.S. Constitution or the Constitution of the State of Texas in matters involving marriage or the parent–child relationship," she posted on Facebook.
"Our nation and, indeed, our City are enriched by other cultures. We value their heritage, contributions to our society and diverse experiences which add to the intricate fabric of America. Van Duyne came under fire for being "anti-Islamic" when she spoke against the Shariah Law tribunal, which was never approved by the City Council."It fuels anti-Islamic hysteria," Zia Sheikh, imam at the Islamic Center of Irving, told the Dallas Morning News. "Her whole point was to rile up her supporters. ... The problem is we become the whipping boys." But for Van Duyne, it isn't about preventing Islam from infiltrating American courts; rather, the bill will focus on returning to America's national roots and guaranteed liberties. "However, the fundamental principles that formed our nation, protect our rights and guarantee liberties unmatched anywhere must not be sacrificed as our nation embraces other cultures. Reaffirming that our courts will consider matters based on AMERICAN laws and statutes is, therefore, necessary," she wrote on Facebook. According to Breitbart News, Van Duyne told the Council, "This bill does not mention, at all, Muslims, Sharia Law, Islam, even religion. It specifically talks about foreign laws not taking precedent over U.S. laws and those of the state of Texas."
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details