Crossroad Bible Institute requests urgent prayer for Crossroad graduate Kelly Gissendaner. Kelly has been sentenced to death by the state of Georgia, but her execution has been postponed twice.
Now Christians around the country are praying for a miracle and seeking a way to keep her off death row for good, and faith leaders such as Desmond Tutu and Shane Claiborne have signed a petition requesting clemency. Kelly's story is one of redemption, and she is living proof that not all "jailhouse religion" is insincere or superficial.
Kelly was sentenced to death in 1998 for persuading her boyfriend to murder her husband. Kelly's boyfriend, who committed the murder, took a plea bargain and is serving a life sentence with eligibility for parole. Kelly did not accept a plea bargain, because her lawyer did not believe that the jury would sentence her to death.
Kelly was a Crossroad student from 2007 to 2010, and her instructors commented on her good work ethic and spiritual growth. On Feb. 27, 2015, the New York Times wrote an article about her spiritual transformation and theological studies.
Kelly's growth in theological knowledge was outpaced only by her personal transformation. According to Pastor Dottie Benson, Kelly entered prison a bitter woman, but she is now a mentor and mother figure to many inmates there. Prisoners tell stories of "Mama Kelly" talking them out of suicide, encouraging them to behave well in prison and helping them meet their goals.
Kelly says of her spiritual journey, "I have learned firsthand that no one, not even me, is beyond redemption through God's grace and mercy."
Georgia's parole board denied Kelly's clemency petition on Feb. 24, 2015. The Department of Corrections has yet to announce the new date of her execution.
"Please join Crossroad in praying for Kelly, who is a living testament to the transforming power of God's grace," said Crossroad president Dr. David Schuringa. "May the Lord work a miracle and find a way to save Kelly's life. And may He bring her, her family and the family of her husband peace."
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details