A Christian-owned bakery has shuttered its doors after protests for refusing to bake a cake for a same-sex wedding.
111 Cakery in Indianapolis was run by Randy and Trish McGath. Randy tells USA Today that Trish did most of the baking, and it was "wearing her out."
"We have decided not to renew our lease so we are now closed. We want to thank everyone for your patronage, support and friendship. It has been a true pleasure to serve you. Eph 2:8," reads a post on their website.
The McGaths first came under fire nearly a year ago for refusing to bake a cake for a gay-commitment ceremony. Within 24 hours, social media exploded with protests from across the country. Despite the protests, the McGaths' business was in full-swing. Within the week, the duo was receiving support and orders from across the country.
Still, one protester remained in front of the shop, pointing to the location's significance in a gay neighborhood.
Randy told the Indianapolis Star that they were happy to be part of the community, but didn't want to be part of a commitment ceremony.
"There was zero hate here," he tells the Star. "We were just trying to be right with our God. I was able to speak to many homosexuals in the community and to speak our opinion and have a civil conversation. I'm still in touch with some."
Randy said the business was still profitable, even after protests began, and people would travel from all around the state to get one of Trish's pastries.
Now the couple plans to spend more time with family, USA Today reports.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details