Effective Feb. 10, 2015, the historic Buffalo Presbyterian Church in Greensboro, North Carolina, is no longer affiliated with the liberal Presbyterian Church of the USA, which has come under fire in recent years for embracing same-sex unions in violation of scriptural teaching.
By an overwhelming supermajority, Buffalo Church members voted to separate from the denomination due to its rejection of the authority of Scripture.
"Because of our conviction of the truth of the Bible, the reality of Jesus, and scriptural morals, Buffalo Presbyterian Church has, after a long and extensive journey, successfully extricated itself from the PCUSA denomination," said Interim Pastor Dr. Alex McFarland. "As followers of Christ, we are called first and foremost to recognize and adhere to the authority and truth of God's Word. Embracing homosexual unions and declaring them to be blessed by God is an arrogant contradiction of this truth. Tragically, the Presbyterian Church of the USA has abandoned 2,000 years of Christian orthodoxy, and is leading others astray through its teachings. Buffalo Presbyterian Church mourns the falling away of the PCUSA, but we are constricted by our declaration of faith to look to Scripture alone as the ultimate authority on all matters of doctrine and teaching."
Buffalo Presbyterian Church made the decision approximately one year ago to separate itself from the denomination, but doing so is no easy task, as PCUSA requires that a church not only obtain permission to leave but also pay a fee to the denomination. As part of the permission process, Buffalo Presbyterian Church was required to take a vote of its members, and in not one vote but two, church members by an overwhelming supermajority voted to separate from PCUSA due to its rejection of the authority of Scripture.
The church will now affiliate with the Evangelical Presbyterian Church, which follows Scripture first and foremost and embraces the Westminster Confession of Faith.
Founded in 1756, the historic Buffalo Presbyterian Church predates the creation of the United States of America by two decades, and the church was standing in 1781 when the struggle for America's freedom was fought at nearby Guilford Courthouse. Yet, leadership and the congregation have a message that remains relevant for 21st-century audiences. Buffalo Presbyterian Church saw the birth of America and now wants to be part of helping revive the U.S. by breathing new life and spiritual freedom into hungry souls.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details