On the heels of their spirited hearing this morning before U.S. District Judge Tanya Walton Pratt, Thomas More Society has reached an agreement with the ACLU of Indiana that the Franklin County Nativity Scene will remain in place this Christmas. The agreement was reached on behalf of the two organizations' respective clients—Franklin County and the Freedom from Religion Foundation.
"We're pleased to secure the right to display the nativity scene on the Franklin County Courthouse lawn through Christmas," said Peter Breen, Thomas More Society vice president and senior counsel. "The parties will now litigate the case on a normal schedule, without the threat of an emergency injunction forcing the removal of the nativity scene just before Christmas."
The Freedom from Religion Foundation filed a lawsuit seeking an immediate injunction against Franklin County over the county's allowing private citizens to display a nativity scene on the Courthouse lawn. However, County Commissioners approve requests for displays and events in front of the Courthouse from different groups throughout the year, including a child abuse awareness group, garden club and private citizens who sponsor and set up a nativity scene each year at Christmastime.
Under the agreement, the Franklin County nativity scene will come down the day after Christmas, and the Freedom from Religion Foundation will drop its request for a preliminary injunction against Franklin County, which could have required Franklin County to remove the nativity scene before Christmas.
"The Constitutional right to free speech protects religious speech in the public square, including nativity scenes, just as much as it protects nonreligious speech," added Peter Breen. "We will continue working to protect the First Amendment rights of the people of Franklin County as they express themselves in the public forum in front of their Courthouse."
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details