U.S. District Judge Carlton Reeves overturned Mississippi's ban on same-sex marriage on Tuesday. The judge stayed his ruling for two weeks so the state can appeal.
Mississippi state attorneys have already declared their intention to ask the 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals to block Reeves' order.
Mississippi voters amended their state constitution in 2004 to elevate protection for natural marriage to the state constitution. An overwhelming 86 percent of voters approved the amendment, which defines marriage as being between a man and a woman.
American Family Association President Tim Wildmon released the following statement regarding the ruling:
"This is yet another tragic example of an out-of-control federal judge violating the Constitution and the will of 86 percent of the voters of Mississippi. These renegade judges are robbing the American people of the right to govern themselves, and it is a travesty. The first three words of the Constitution are 'We the People,' not 'We the Judges.'
"We commend Gov. Phil Bryant for his declared intention to fight this egregious judicial overreach with every means at his disposal. God has defined marriage from the dawn of time as the union of one man and one woman, and what God has defined, no man, no judge, can redefine. This judicial tyranny must be resisted."
The text of the Mississippi marriage amendment reads: "Marriage may take place and may be valid under the laws of this state only between a man and a woman. A marriage in another state or foreign jurisdiction between persons of the same gender, regardless of when the marriage took place, may not be recognized in this state and is void and unenforceable under the laws of this state."
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details